Gray Day moves up two days compared to 2018

Groene stroom

Gray Day moves up two days compared to 2018

February 4 was ‘Gray Day’, the day in the year when all renewable energy produced in a yopgebear is exhausted. After Gray Day we only use ‘gray energy’, originating from uranium in nuclear reactors or from fossil fuels such as oil, gas and coal.

Compared to 2018, when Gray Day fell on 2 February, there is a slight improvement. However, there is absolutely no reason for exaggerated euphoria. If our country continues to green its energy production at this rate, our energy will only be 100 per cent renewable in 227 years. This is almost 200 years later than currently planned for 2050.

The share of self-produced renewable energy in Belgium rose from 8.7% in 2016 to 9.1% in 2017. The remaining 90.9% is gray energy. In terms of time, 9.1% renewable energy corresponds to just over 33 days in a full year. Our green energy for 2019 was therefore exhausted on February 4.

Source: Nieuwsblad.be, 4 februari 2019

Want to know more about our PIDbox?

Discover how the PIDbox increases the efficiency of your solar panels!

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *